The Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Francis of the Martyr St. George was founded by Mother M. Anselma with the help of Fr. Gerard Dall in 1869. The Sisters began their ministry by serving the sick and poor, especially children, in Thuine, Germany. From there, Sisters were sent out to other towns and countries, including St. Louis, MO in 1923. Since then, the Sisters have opened 14 convents in the United States and work in many areas, especially education and healthcare. The Sisters have served at St. Matthew School in Champaign, IL since 1995.